Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Living Sacrifice


I have known Bruce Fitzhugh of Living Sacrifice for several years now and am still in awe of the guy. I have many, many great memories of Sacrifice shows from the mainstage at Cornerstone before thousands of people all the way down to church basements for 10 people. Each and everytime I have seen them it has been a moving experience. Even as I am writing this thinking about the sheer power and brutality of LS’s music still brings a smile to my face all these years later.
The first time I saw Living Sacrifice was October 5, 1996 at the Where-House with POD. Simply put it was a life changing event. Sacrifice was on the “Reborn” tour. I knew absolutely nothing about them at the time other than the fact that they were described as “old school metal.” I remember they came out and opened with “Reborn Empowered” and it was absolutely amazing. At the time is seemed like the band was more attacking the songs rather than playing them. I remember Lance (Garvin) absolutely destroying his drum kit, especially during the intro drum jam. He just hit so hard and then locked into an almost metronome quality beat. Bruce was playing a Charvel guitar which was at the time way not trendy, but to me it made it even more cool, like these guys were who they were and they flat didn’t care what anyone else thought.
I will never in my life forget hearing “Reject” for the first time. Shouting “reject your lies” in the middle of a sweaty Sacrifice show is simply bliss. And the breakdown to end all breakdowns, anyone who has ever been to see Sacrifice live knows exactly what I’m talking about.
I remember seeing LS once with Dear Ephesus, and after the show Brett from DE was playing air guitar to Sacrifice. He later said that it was the best show DE ever played mainly because you have to be good to play with Sacrifice.
Enough gushing though, Bruce is now running Zambooie merch with Bill Power and Mike Lewis. We met up with him at the Zambooie offices in Nashville, it was really cool seeing the guys and the company that they have built. Bruce was as usual very cool and admitted that when he didn’t have a guitar in front of him, he was kind of shy. Very good interview though, he was very frank and cool about things.

1 comment:

Ash Greyson said...

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWW! KA KAH...KA KAH... KA KAH... Hey, "Reject" made the trailer, the song AND the video!