Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Prayer Chain


Aside from videos I have never seen the Prayer Chain live. They pretty much came and went before I was even aware of a Christian underground. I did know them by reputation however, the Prayer Chain was kind of always regarded as the apex of the cool indie band and their shows were legendary. Retroactively I got all of their releases starting with “Shawl,” which I loved. “Mercury” eventually came into my possession and despite an initial reluctance to accept it became my favorite Prayer Chain CD. Ironically during the interim period before I came to adore “Mercury” I met Wayne Everett, the Prayer Chain’s drummer for the first time. Wayne was playing with Starflyer 59 on the “Americana” tour. He asked me which PC record was my favorite and I told him “Shawl.” He kind of shook his head and that was about it. I found out later that the stylistic change between the albums had been a major point of contention between factions of the band and among other things had directly contributed to their eventual breakup. Which side was Wayne on? “Mercury” of course, and there I was telling him that I liked the other one better. I’ve always intended to tell him that I was wrong when I told him that but it’s never come up.
Since that time I’ve actually become friends with Tim Taber, the Prayer Chain’s singer. Tim ran Floodgate records the label that Mourning September, a band that I used to manage was signed to. Through that time I got to know Tim quite well and found him to be a stand-up guy. From time to time however I would revert back into fan-boy mode and question him about all things Prayer Chain and he would always answer me. He has said many times however that he thinks that me and Dave Walker (Mourning September’s drummer) were the only ones that cared anymore. Hopefully “Bleed into One” will help to change that.
We interviewed Tim at GMA, and it was great. As I said before I’ve known Tim for a while and he was really at ease. He has this unique way of looking at everything from both an artists and an industry perspective at the same time. Probably his best story was about catching Mike Rowe from the 77s blow drying his own butt backstage at a show. I’m sure we’ll get more on that when we interview Mike.

No comments: