Monday, May 21, 2007

Showbread


We interviewed Josh Dies and Matt Davis of Showbread at the Where-House early on in the production of the film. One of the first questions I asked as usual was “what was your first take on Christian rock?" to which Josh said something to the effect of “since we’re aliens from Mars we don’t really know too much about that.” It seems like they followed that up with something about eating insects or once being insects or something along those lines.
Ash and myself secretly (or not so secretly) rolled our eyes and I kept asking questions. Surprisingly the answers became more serious.
Later I read this on their Wikipedia entry concerning the same issue:
“Showbread is known for being notoriously unreliable in the press. Most interviews, regardless of purpose, vary from light hearted nonsense to outright absurdity, and the band seems to become serious only when answering questions dealing with their faith. Showbread has made many absurd claims, ranging from the accusation that Tooth and Nail Records was holding their family members hostage to guarantee a softer sound in Age of Reptiles than No Sir, Nihilism Is Not Practical, to blaming the war in Iraq on Queen Elizabeth, to saying that the members of the band Pillar are made of grass clippings, to admitting to storing of weapons of mass destruction in their tour bus, to the claim that certain members of their band are space aliens and travel the country on mutant Manta rays.”
So now I don’t feel so bad. Actually with all that said, I feel pretty good that they decided to talk to us seriously. Anyway I really like Showbread, I think in an age where most bands are just trying to sound like everyone else, Showbread is a true original. They are influenced by old school horror films (as am I) and have done songs on George Romero, the Evil Dead and Tobe Hooper, Franz Kafka, William S. Bourroughs, and Emetophobia, among other things.
In the interview the guys were very outside the box. I had been asking them about Christian bands and they were semi-responsive. I do remember Matt saying that he had been kicked out of youth group for playing a Third Day song. They really didn’t open up until I mentioned Marilyn Manson and then they really go into it. Josh said that he was really influenced by his work and when I told him that “Mechanical Animals” was my favorite Manson album, we really had a good discussion.

No comments: