Sunday, May 13, 2007

Title?

If there were a FAQ about “Bleed Into One” one of the first questions on the list would surely be “where did the name of the film come from?” The short answer is that it comes from a U2 lyric, specifically a lyric from “Where the Streets Have No Name” off of “The Joshua Tree.”
“I believe in the kingdom come, when all the colors will bleed into one.”
The main idea for this came from an unlikely source: Hootie and the Blowfish. For some odd reason, I remembered an anecdote about their gazillion selling album “Cracked Rear View” that the title of the album came from a Bruce Springsteen lyric. Seemed like a good idea to me at the time and I apparently filed away said information until the time came to choose a title for the film.
I knew I wanted something that would represent not only the scene but of culture in general, and from there it was only a short jump to U2. Thanks to the trusty internet it only took a few minutes to have every U2 lyric ever written at my fingertips, so I started at “Boy” and went from there. I had a stack of post-it notes on which I would write any phrases that I thought might be a candidate. I had compiled a list of about 10 or so possibilities before I came to “The Joshua Tree” which is actually my favorite U2 album. As soon as I got to “Streets” I just knew. I had heard the lyric literally hundreds of times before but I knew as soon as I read it in the context of what we were trying to do I knew that “Bleed Into One” would be the name of our film.
And the rest is semi-history……

3 comments:

Ash Greyson said...

There was never any other title, it was nameless for a while. Since this is going to be a massive worldwide phenom (joking people) let's see what it will look like in other languages!

English - Bleed Into One
French - Saignez Dans Un
German - Bluten Sie in Ein
Greek - Φλεβοτομία σε μια
Italian - Sanguini In Uno
Portuguese - Sangre Em Um
Russian - Кровоточите В Одно
Spanish - Sangre En Uno
Pig Latin - Eedblay Intoway Oneway


ash =o)

Ash Greyson said...

By the way, I already smell a sequel... Bleed Into Two... we could get Mr. T to be in it...



ash =o)

Deadedgegirl said...

By the way, Bleed into one, doesn't come from where the streets have no name but surely from I still haven't found what I'm looking fo, check it out : I believe in Kigdom come / Then all the colours will bleed into one /
But yes I'm still running.

You are totally right on one thing though it comes from The Joshua Tree.

And Ash, if I may : French for Bleed into one would be NE FERONT QU'UNE (Then the colours will bleed into one - puis toutes les couleurs ne feront qu'une).

Cheers